Our body is like a machine which needs regular fueling i.e regular food intake to regulate the body mechanism. Meal Planning is one of the most essential aspects of a healthy and balanced diet. It is also beneficial for weight loss and maintaining energy levels. Hence one should consume food every three to four hours throughout the day.
A 24 hour day meal pattern constitutes of three basic meal timings- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. A meal is larger in quantity, more varied, filling than snacks.
When you wake up in the morning, your body has spend about 7-8 hours without food. The body sugar levels are low, hence it’s vital to refuel your body engine in order for your brain to function properly.
– Start your day with a filling breakfast within an hour of waking up.
– Ideal time between 7am to 10am
– It should constitute 25% of your daily food intake.
– Remember to include a serving of cereals (rich in proteins); fresh fruits( rich in vitamins and minerals)
– Ideal time: 12 noon to 3 pm
– Include one serving of two cereals e.g. Rice/ wheat rotis/ bajra roti along with a serving of vegetables.
– Include a serving of fresh veggies in form of salad or curd or buttermilk
– Ideal time: 7 pm to 9 pm
– Include either one portion of cereals e.g. Wheat / rice / Jowar etc along with a serving of vegetables.
– Consume light food which is easily to digest.
– Homemade soups or salads are best options for light dinner.
– Avoid fried, fatty, rich food post 7 pm
– Keep a gap of 2 hours between dinner and bedtime.
To fill the gap between these three meal timings, one should consume healthy snacks like salads, fresh fruits,nuts or sandwiches in your mid-morning and evening snack timings.
Remember the wise old proverb,
‘Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dine like a Pauper.’